Wednesday, April 24, 2019

rising

i found the heartbeat of our daughter.
her drum raced a few beats faster than our son.
i hear them, i see them, and i touch their shadows on your skin.
it is april and the tulips are rising.

i remember holding my mother's hand on this day
6 years ago.
my finger rested on her wrist.
i held my breath and counted her every last beat.
i can still feel her pulse in my bones.

if i love, i listen.
i listen in love.
i hear life as music and music as life.

i can smell spring sliding through the windows.
will i mother as beautifully as my mother?
will i celebrate storms and sunrises the same?

"from noon to midnight and midnight to noon
there is always growth, child."

i ache to know the lives expanding within you
while i ache for my mother's voice.

these words are adrenaline for the future,
awareness of the past,
awe of this second,
now.

it is april and the tulips are rising.


No comments:

Post a Comment