Wednesday, April 25, 2018

anomaly

I start today with a surface memory from the morning you passed.
I was supposed to get blood work. 
I was three weeks past my weekly draw.
The nurse called with ‘come in, today.’
The ‘had I gone’ doesn’t exist.

I can’t what if.
I won’t what if.
I was there
beside you
exactly where and when 
you left. 

Five years later on the hour
I am here writing words to keep you.

The truth is I was thirtysomething 
and I held your hand, often.
I didn’t think much of it, then.
I realize now what is rare.

When I was nineteen,
you held your hands above your head and danced
in a doorway in a bathrobe in a hotel in Florida.
Your grace taught me freedom.

Breastfed beyond two,
(I was the last child 
to be held and understood)
I thought I was the anomaly.

You carried twelve
delivered all naturally
loved all unconditionally 
and lived gentle into eighty,
leaving stories behind
of lives changed and healed.

Mother, you are the anomaly.

No comments:

Post a Comment