Monday, August 24, 2015

Single

can write now 
in the middle of the night 
I can hum notes to the moon
decide my bedtime
and I can leave the room
without permission.

I can crave human touch
and feel the ache of loneliness alone, 
not tethered.

I can leave the window open
leave the volume at an odd number
and love my past without being scorned.

I can talk to strangers
I can talk to my sisters
I can live without fear of uncontrolled anger.

I can forgive without explanation.
I can grieve, weep, laugh, love, empathize
without justification.

I can remember screaming, crying, jealousy, isolation.
I can remember pleas for solace.
I can remember the day solace was claimed.

I can avoid the righteous,
I can walk with the wanderers.

I can accept what would not change,
I can regret not accepting that sooner.

I can give compassion to whomever is in need.
I can accept compassion whenever I am in need.

I can promise myself to 
take the time to heal
take the time to find the corners of being alone 
take the time to depend solely on my spirit for peace.

I can be the woman I aspire to be
outside the box,
outside doubt, 
outside hate,
outside false accusation,
outside society's expectation.

I can realize most of my life I was afraid of losing those I love.
I can choose to face that fear, 
and eat it daily for breakfast til it's gone.

I can believe that no one belongs to anyone,
and I can believe we all long for each other.

I can work as much as I need
to pay my bills
to fulfill my soul
to never depend on the generosity of anyone who would hold it against me.

I can embrace every form of love
and let each exist on its own
without competition, comparison, or conceit.

No comments:

Post a Comment